Sunday, March 27, 2016

Phnom Penh Day 1

Arrived this morning in Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia. I'm here for three days on my monthly escape from Singapore. I originally decided to come here on the advice of a customer and after booking my flight and hotel found out there is little to do as a tourist in this city. Since then I have managed to set my expectations extremely low and now after my arrival today have been pleasantly surprised. I did little today. Laid by the pool, went into town and wandered around a bit, found the Foreign Correspondents Club  - a well known expat hang out - and set there for 3 hours. Had a snack there with tow Canadian girls and then went our for dinner a well known Khmer restaurant. Wan't impressed with dinner but absolutely LOVED the FCC. Cambodia just really feels like Asia. The capital city is still massively underdeveloped and it's just so nice to be somewhere not like Singapore. Here's a few videos for your enjoyment:

Welcome to Phnom Penh

Walking in Phnom Penh

FCC - Phnom Penh

Tomorrow I am going to see the Killing Fields in the morning. I know very little about this now but will fill in more tomorrow. I believe this is where the Khmer Rouge massacred over 1,000,000 people during their reign. Will get the numbers sorted tomorrow.

Then, in the afternoon, I am going fishing on the Mekong river with a local fisherman. This is gonna be fun! Wait for some videos of this!

For other news, my parents are coming in out in just over 3 weeks and we are going on a whirlwind tour of Asia to include Singapore, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, and Cambodia. I will be with them about 3/4 of the time with them doing a few places on their own. Really looking forward to this trip!!

And in my outside of work life, I have been reading a good new book, Rising Strong by Brene Brown. Would highly recommend to everyone. It's all about being vulnerable, setting boundaries, etc... Very interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment