Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Long Time No Post

Good Evening Everyone! So it has been a very, very long time since my last post.... let's see, like 5 months?!

I can try to do a quick recap of everything that has happened over the last 5 months but basically it's this.... work and sleep. Since returning back to Singapore after my month long visit to MN I have been very focused on my job. As you may or may not know, from the day I arrived back in Singapore I was in charge of the rooftop bar I have been working at this past year I've been here in Asia. This time has been a roller coaster of ups and downs. I have learned a MASSIVE amount about how to do the job - as it has been little oversight and I've had to learn most things on my own. Some days have been horrible, some days have been wonderful and mostly it has been adjusting to this new responsibility, trying to create a positive working environment for the staff - a place where they feel respected, where we are a team working together, a cooperative and not competitive environment, and a place where together we work to make the customer happy.

After all this hard work I could really use a holiday and that is where this blog comes in. I have just moments ago booked my next Asian adventure - I will be heading to Phuket, Thailand for 3 days in mid-February.

But, before that, I am heading to Europe for a 10 day trip visit Elizabeth in London, including a 4 day stint in Paris, and a big Saturday night out celebrating my 26th birthday on yet another continent (that's 4 different continents over my last 4 birthdays!). I arrive in London next Friday morning and couldn't be more excited, and also more nervous as I've no clothes for the cold weather and am hoping it warms up significantly for 10 days so I can wear my shorts!

I will do my best to get back into the blogging at least for the travels, if not for everything, as I have had a few experiences recently where I've referenced my past blog posts and realized just how great it has been to have this.

And as for coming back to America, I'm not sure I'll be moving back anytime soon but I will most definitely be making it home the first week of August as Kid Rock will be playing the Buffalo Chip at Sturgis this year and as most of you are well aware, I wouldn't miss that for the world! And since I'll be flying literally from the other side of the world for the concert I can say that confidently!

Okay, that's all for tonight. I've much more to say, but if I get started I won't be able to stop for hours. But that does bring to mind a few quick comments I want to share quickly....

1) This past week has made me realize just how much I appreciate my coworkers. Since I started as Manager at the bar, we have not had any changes to our full-time staff. I would like to think this is at least in part due to my efforts as manager. But either way, I have become great friends with my coworkers and I am starting to realize just how much they add to the good times I have here in Singapore. The thought of leaving the bar in April (as I have been thinking I would do for the last 6+ months) is no longer as appealing as it once was. Although a change would be nice, a new place where I can learn new skills, the thought of leaving the team is really sad. I've no plans as of now, but need to start doing some serious thinking. Will update as appropriate.

2) My parents are coming in April or May for 4 weeks and we are going to be doing some major traveling. Good ready for an epic month of blog posts!!!

3) I think my independent nature is building upon itself in a way that is getting hard for me to pull out of. The more independent I am, the more independent I become. The more independent I become, the harder it is for me to be less independent. I've noticed this recently with my traveling and dating life. I now find it harder and harder to comprise on anything. Since I am so capable of doing everything on my own I don't ever feel the need to compromise just because I need someone to join me for an activity. This of course has it's upside, as I only do the things I want to do, and always. But this also has it's drawbacks, as it's hard to build relationships when you're only thinking about yourself. Mental note here: something to work on!

Okay, now that's really all. That is the last 5 months/future 3 months at a very high level. Expect more details in the months to come.

And for one great photo that explains Singapore life to a "T":


At the local mall, a security guard was guarding a fallen ice cream cone and he was taking his job extremely seriously! 

And now for the last and final thing, really this time, I got my hair cut today. Hello from Singapore :)



No comments:

Post a Comment