Friday, January 15, 2016

Singapore, Singapore, Where to After Singapore?

First off, I would like to star off tonight with another classic Singapore moment.

Tonight, after work, I stopped at the 7-11 near my house to buy something to drink. I live on the 17th floor of a HDB (public housing complex) and my building is one of maybe 10 buildings all in a row. Within this row of HDBs is a three story shopping complex and this is where the 7-11 is located, along with a grocery store and other shops. When I went to the 7-11 it was about 1am, just as I was getting home from work. Almost no one around. If I was in this situation in America - or really any other country - I would be on high alert, walking alone through an empty shopping complex at night. But, here in Singapore, its completely safe. And to highlight just how safe it is, here's a photo:


This photo is of someone's outdoor store/stand that they have simply covered with a canvas over night. It is outside, where people will pass by all evening and where no one is watching over it at night. And, because this is Singapore, no one is going to take anything.

And while I'm typing this it's reminding me that many ex-pats who live in condos here in Singapore don't even lock their door. Of course their building has security but they don't lock their unit. Can you believe this place? 

Total opposite of America!

Anyways, now onto the main point of this blog.... Where to after Singapore?!

As you all know, I have to start thinking about, and actually sorting out, if I am going to stay in Singapore much longer, and, if not, where I am going to go. I was chatting with one of my suppliers today at work and he went to Phnom Penh, Cambodia over his Christmas Holidays and said they are desperately in need of quality F&B staff. As the ex-pat population is starting to explode there and the service and standards are unable to keep up. Maybe, instead of going to HK as I was originally planning to do in March, I will head to Phnom Penh and see if I can sort out a job for myself there? Now wouldn't that be an interesting change of pace?!

Now that's all for tonight. I'm off to bed now, or off to watch a movie or something. 

And if you'd like to see photos of the hotel I'll be staying at in Phuket, just to make you want to come to Asia, here's the link to the beautiful Burasari Resort at Patong Beach.

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment