Monday, November 10, 2014

Photos from the First Few Days

I'm going to organize these photos is day order, although they didn't upload in that order. Damn it! Okay so starting with the first day:

Saturday, November 1:



I know this photo is blurry but you get the idea. This was me, at the airport, waiting for my parents to arrive. Now, writing this caption only 9 days later and it feels like a lifetime ago! I was so nervous waiting for them. I don't know why, and the guy standing next to me waiting for his son thought I shouldn't be so nervous, but I was. I thought I would cry when I saw them but I didn't. I think the sign distracted me. 


My parents on Mt. Eden, one of the tallest volcanos in Auckland city, from the top of which you can see the entire city. In the back left you can see the CBD, with the most prominent building being the Sky Tower. Off in the back right you can see Rangitoto, a large volcano in the Hauraki Gulf, only a short ferry ride from Auckland. I hiked this volcano a few months ago. Find the post on my hiking of the volcano here.


The crater of the Mt. Eden volcano with the city and Rangitoto in the background.


My mother and I on Mt. Eden looking out over the Eastern Bays.


I'm not going to explain this one.


My parents and I dining at Ortolana, the restaurant I worked at for the last 7 months, before the Lorde concert.


I know you can't see us well in this photo but you can see the restaurant a bit better. 

Sunday, November 2:


Me sitting on the bench where I waited for my NZ father when I arrived in Auckland off the ferry from Coromandel. This is a renactment.


My mother, Ana, and I waiting to tour the Sea Shepard, the anti-poaching boat we toured that was in the Auckland harbour preparing for the yearly whaling season off Antarctica.

Monday, November 3:


My father having an Asian moment, as Ana would call it. Asians love to take photos of their food and my father took a photo of the breakfast we had at The Federal Delicatessen before we left Auckland early Monday morning.


A cool moss covered tree and sign outside The Kauri Museum in Matakohe in the Northland. We drove by here on our way to the largest living Kauri trees.


My mother and father in front of The Four Sisters, four closely growing Kauri Trees, in the Waipoua Forest. Read more about this and the other Kauri Trees you will see photos of in a minute, here. I realize this is on a hotel website but it's the best I found about these trees.


The bark of a Kauri Tree.


My mother and I at Te Matua Ngahere. This is the oldest and widest living Kauri tree, at about 2500 to 3000 years old.


Tane Mahuta, the largest living Kauri Tree, estimated to be 2000 years old.


The overlook near Omapere, looking out over the opening to Hokianga Harbour. 


Sitting in the car on our first mini car ferry, from Port Opua over to Russel. It cost $13 for the car and 2 additional passengers. 


Looking out over the Bay of Islands in Russell at sunset.

Tuesday, November 4:


A seagull, mouth wide open, on the beach in Russel. We were eating breakfast at The Waterfront Cafe when this bird decided to show off it's very large mouth.


Dad in the stocks in Russell.


My mother looking over the fence into the graveyard surrounding Christ Church in Russel. Christ Church is the older existing church in NZ.


The world's largest ceremonial war canoe, Ngātokimatawhaorua, at Waitangi Treaty Grounds near Paihia. Don't ask me how to pronounce the name of the canoe.


Carvings from inside Maori meeting house on the treaty grounds.  Click here for more info on the canoe and the meeting house.


And again.


The view from the driveway of Chris and Raewyn, my customers that I stayed with in Sandspit. The water in the background in Kawau Bay, off the Hauraki Gulf.


Another shot. 

Wednesday, November 5:


Chris, me, Raewyn, at their Kiwi fruit orchard. 


A photo taken from the Harbour Bridge looking over into the CBD.


Annabelle. Need I say more?

Well I will so you understand better and I remember when I'm 90 and reading this. The cow in the middle, number 19 (check the ear tag), is Annabelle, the cow I took a video of being born that was subsequently named after me. Isn't she beautiful? She sure is social, although you can't tell from a photo, and the leader of her calf heard. Just wonderful! If for no other reason I will have to come back to NZ someday to check on her.


Annabelle.



There she is again, looking for me. Everyone else is eating and she's missing out on food so she can find me. Isn't that sweet? She's just so wonderful!


All the little calves feeding.


Nigel, me, and my mother on the farm.


The cow in the front/middle looking at us is Annabelle.


A photo of the ear tag Jordan and Ashton made for me the first time I was at the farm. As you have already noticed, I'm sure, it is the same number as Annabelle. I have had this hanging in my car every since they gave it to me.

Thursday, November 6:


The view form our hotel room in Lake Taupo. We have our own private deck and everything!


The cafe we had breakfast at, Victoria's.


The bubbling pots at Craters of the Moon.


And some more.


And some more.


A panoramic from Craters of the Moon.


And another.


Huka Falls. Yes, the water really is that color. The falls are extremely violent. Read more about them here. The river they are on, the Waikato River, provides 15% of all the power in NZ. Amazing, isn't it?

Here's a bit of information I took from the Huka Falls website: 

At the Huka Falls, the Waikato River which is normally 100m wide, is squeezed through a 20 metre wide gorge and over a 20m drop.
Every second up to 220,000 litres of water gushes through the gorge and shoots out over 8 metres beyond to create a beautful blue/green pool.

See more photos below.







The first snow capped mountains we saw. We could see these from our Hotel on Lake Taupo but this photo is better here.


The lush farmland of NZ.


My dad, driving on the other side of the road.

Friday, November 7:


My car parked at McDonalds in Nelson, NZ at 3:00am on Friday. No place to stay, a 24 hour McDonalds was the best we could do at this time.

FYI, we are now on the South Island.


The hotel we eventually ended up staying in. Ugly, isn't it?


More snow capped mountains near the Abel Tasman, outside of Nelson.


The bedroom/view from the bedroom at The Waters,  where we stayed outside the Abel Tasman.


The view from the entrance/patio out over the Tasman Bay.


Down by the water.


The coastline.






The Smokehouse where we had fish and chips in Mapua.

Saturday, November 8:


Our breakfast spread included with out B&B stay. This is for two people, my parents. I had my own in my room. Notice anything out of place? If you find it, it didn't come with the breakfast. My dad just wanted to add it to the photo.

And 3 hours later I am done doing this. I am going to bed now. Will post more photos again soon.

Best!

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos! Keep them coming!
    The one with the pool and snow capped mountains is especially fitting for Minnesota this morning!

    ReplyDelete