Friday, January 9, 2015

My Experience is a True and Valid Experience

This morning I had a nice long Skype call with my father and I thought I would share some of it with you. Plus, it ties in nicely to a conversation I had over lunch with a gentleman, Andrew, as well.

I called my father this morning to chat about the fact that he’s been asking me to put photos on my blog and I haven’t done it. I was quite annoyed with him for asking because I already spend so much time working on my blog, along with everything else I try to do, that I get frustrated that he was asking me to do more work. Plus, I was already feeling bad about the fact that I haven’t put any up in quite a while. This is for 2 reasons, (1) I just haven’t made the time to do it. I don’t always feel like I have the time, but I could always make it and I just haven’t. and (2) I haven’t been taking as many photos here in Asia as I was taking in other places. This is mainly because having my camera out and standing around taking lots of photos, especially in the more interesting parts of the cities like the markets and such would make me stick out even more than I already do and I don’t always want to bring that added attention to myself. I try to look as little like a tourist as possible, and I think I tend to do a rather good job. I rarely pull out a map in public, I always walk like I know where I’m going even when I don’t, and I tend not to stand around gawking at things like a tourist would do. And in a city like Bangkok, where so many white people do live, it is plausible that I could live here and I want people to think that I do.

Since we are currently staying in a rather touristy part of town, being in our immediate neighborhood would imply that I am likely a tourist. And since I can’t speak a work of Thai there isn’t a ton that I can do to make people think I’m not. And being white, and a woman, you get a lot of unwanted attention. Now I’m starting to finally get to what I was talking with my father about this morning: It is exhausting being a woman in Asia not traveling with a man. And this seems to be something most men just don’t understand.

Simply walking down the street you get a lot more attention than a man would, or than a woman would who is walking with a man. Men are constantly calling to you, they don’t respect that when you say “no” to whatever they are offering that means no, and when you decline their offer for a taxi or tuktuk they think the next plausible question to ask is “where are you going?” or “where are you staying?” as if that is any of their business. Now I’m sure this happens to men and couples as well, but I can’t imagine a lot of men in the west asking a single woman walking down the street where she is going or where she is staying if they didn’t have the intention of trying to make her feel uncomfortable. Here, this doesn’t seem to occur to them, or they don’t seem to care.

It is also an adjustment being in a country where everywhere people are constantly trying to scam you. The government, police, and all the tourist organizations, as well as the tourists, are well aware of this. Everyone is constantly warning you about being scammed. And this then puts you on the defensive regarding pretty much anyone who approaches you. And I just don’t like living like this – like I can’t trust anyone, that if someone offers to help me find a place I’m looking for or offer me something I need I shouldn’t trust them. When I walk down the street I put my blinders on, keep my eyes pointing forward, ignoring everyone that calls out to me, and I this puts me in a bad mood. I am a generally outgoing and trusting and friendly person but living in a place like this teaches you not to be that way and I’m getting tired of it. I just want to get back to a place where strangers do care, and you can trust people for the most part.

And this brings me up to my next point – I am sick of people tell me where I should and shouldn’t go, what I should and shouldn’t do, etc… I know I was guilty of this when I worked at Ortolana, but I don’t like being on the receiving end and am thus going to try to put in a concerted effort not to give out unsolicited advice about other people’s vacations. I don’t care to go out every night in Bangkok – and that’s okay. I didn’t like Kuala Lumpur because I though it was unsafe – and that is my experience, not yours, and if yours was different it doesn’t mean mine wasn’t real. I don’t want to go to Phuket – and I just don’t want to go so don’t tell me I should. And unless someone asks me about what I think they should or shouldn’t do when they go to America or New Zealand or anywhere else they might be going, I’m going to try to keep my mouth shut about whatever they are doing.

This especially keeps happening when Elizabeth and I tell people we want to move to Singapore, and this happened to me at lunch today with Andrew, and I don’t want to hear it anymore. And people tell me it is a bad idea is only making me want to go there and prove everyone wrong and show them how great of a city Singapore really is.

So at lunch today I met a gentleman named Andrew. He was born in Chicago but raised in London and has now been living the last 7 years in Asia – the first year in India and now the last 6 in Bangkok. I told him today that I wanted to live in Singapore and he didn’t agree that it is good place to live. He asked me why I wanted to live there, to which I told him that it is safe and clean. He then asked me if these things are important to me – as if they shouldn’t be – and I replied yes. He then asked me if I like the “sterility” as well (this is the number one complaint I hear about Singapore, that it’s “sterile” – and since everyone uses this exact same term it’s hard for me to believe people aren’t simply regurgitating what others have told them to think) and I told him that I want to live there and I’m not going to change my mind. When you’re a 6’6” white male, safety likely isn’t something you think about because you probably rarely feel unsafe. You don’t have men watching you as you walk by, or following you through the streets. You don’t have people asking you where you’re staying or how old you are. When you’re a 5’6” white female, safety is something you think about a lot when you’re not in a western country with a reliable police force and where you can understand what signals men are sending and what the signals they think you are sending to them. I want to live in Singapore, I am going to live in Singapore, and if people keep telling me it’s a sterile country with no soul and that all these other places I’ve been to are safe I’m just going to prove them all wrong. I am going to go to Singapore on Wednesday, I am going to get myself a job, I am going to live there safely for the next year, and then I am going to be Singapore’s number one fan. And if you don’t agree, and you’re a man, than you can keep your opinion to yourself. If you don’t agree and you are a single woman who is living without a male partner in one of these other Asian countries I would love to hear from you about your experience.

Now one other thing I have decided is that this is the perfect opportunity for me to practice doing what I want to do, and not caring what other people think. I will admit that this is not something that comes easy to me. This is probably for a few different reasons, (1) I have always had such supportive parents that I am used to them encouraging me to do what I think is best. (2) I usually make good and responsible decisions so most other people usually don’t have a reason not to support me. (3) My friends are usually supportive of my decisions as well. (4) Most things I do usually work out for the best so I am used to getting support – at least after the fact – that I did the right thing. Now I’m not trying to say that I’m going to start doing things that are dumb, but I am just going to start practicing doing as I please, and not letting other people’s opinions bother me – although evident from the first part of this post, they clearly do. I’m sure this will be a nice long project for me, likely lasting many years.

I am going to move to Singapore because I feel safe there and safety is important to me. I am going to move to Singapore because my wages will be the highest there, even though cost of living will also be very high, and because I like how efficient the city is. I am going to move to Singapore because I enjoy living in a well-organized and clean city, even if some people think it’s sterile. I am going to move to Singapore because people there speak English and my customer service skills will be most appreciated there, even if this means all my money will be going to rent. And I am going to enjoy it – and if I don’t, I can always leave and move to Bangkok – a “safe” city, full of culture and soul, and dirt, and creepy men, and obnoxious tourists, where few people pay any attention to road rules, it takes for ever to get anywhere because there are markets all over the sidewalks and way fewer people speak either of the languages I know how to communicate in.

That’s all on that topic for now. Hopefully we won’t have to revisit it anytime soon. With that I’m taking a break right now. I’ve got all my photos up onto my computer now and will try to get a post together in the next couple of days with some shots from Malaysia and Thailand.


Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment