Monday, February 2, 2015

I can't recognize an American accent.

Saturday night we went to an outdoor movie playing at the National Museum of Singapore. The movie was super weird - some 1970's french film about the Bourgeoisie. We were sitting on the sidewalk next to another group of people that included this one white guy. I was convinced English was his second language. Everyone else I was with (Elizabeth from Australia, Richard from NZ, and Johnny from England) were all convinced he was from America. Richard kept telling me that all Americans talk that slow. I seriously could not believe English was his first language and in an order to prove everyone else wrong I asked him and it turns out he was from Atlanta. I seriously have never heard anyone talk in such a slow and labored way before. It was like he was trying to consciously think of making every sounds he needed to make to form the words he wanted to say. I spent a month outside Atlanta before I left the states and I don't remember people talking like that. I guess I just don't know all my American accents as well as I should.

In other news, I am sitting in the Singapore airport right now waiting to board my flight to KL and then onto Siem Reap, Cambodia. I will be there until Thursday afternoon at which time I will be flying back to Singapore and hopefully back to a job.

On the job front there is news as well. Since I am spending all this time waiting on place #3, I decided to at least send out a few more resumes to see if I can get a job somewhere else. An italian place got back to me and I went in yesterday to meet with the GM. Shortest interview ever - and strangest. We talked for maybe 5 minutes, at least half of which was spent on my trip to Cambodia and my housing situation in Singapore. He said they can likely find a job for me in even coordination across their 4 restaurants. This is the second place that has wanted me to work events - it must be a sign. So I'm meeting with the owner after I get back to Singapore and then hopefully I'll get a job offer there. I would still like to work at place #3 but I can't wait around forever. I just want something to work out so I can get a place to live, join a kickboxing gym, start coming up with a routine, learning whatever neighborhood I will eventually live in, etc...

Okay, time to go through security now. They do security at each individual gate, not to enter the airport. Time to go now. Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment