Monday, October 7, 2013

Georgia Week 1

I am SO SORRY that I haven't been keeping up on my blog. There is no internet at the cabin I am staying in so it is not as easy post on a regular basis. There is internet at the main house, though, so I'll try to be better for the next 2+ weeks I am here.

So let's go all the way back to my drive to Georgia last week. Here are a few observations about driving habits and gas prices that I noticed on the way down:

Missouri - very cheap gas ($3.09/gallon), pretty fast drivers
Kentucky - cheap gas, slow drivers
Tennessee - not cheap gas($3.20/gallon), crazy drivers (fast and crazy)
Georgia - you can find cheap gas but it's hit and miss($3.10/gallon if you can find it), fast drivers

I also noticed on the way down here just how beautiful it is in this part of the country. Starting in Kentucky and going all the way to Georgia the landscape is hilly and forested and so wonderfully green! Where I'm staying here in Maysville, GA just can't be beat. This part of America is so amazingly beautiful I don't ever want to go home. I may just have to move down here once I get back from Australia.

So now I'll take you through a quick description of each day I've spent here so far, and the new southern foods I've tried.

Sunday & Monday:

Drive to Georgia

Tuesday:

Me and the other WWOOFer, Amanda from Texas, worked in the garden with the wife, Kim. We also accompanied Kim and the husband, Floyd, on the morning animal feeding chores. They have 2 horses, 2 female pigs (1 is pregnant), 1 boar, 6 piglets, about 17 chickens, and 3 dogs. In the afternoon we went into Gainesville and I bought a super cute cowgirl-like dress. I can't wait to wear it!

Wednesday:

In the morning Amanda and I worked in the garden. In the afternoon I went to their oldest daughter, Maddie's, final softball game of her high school career. They didn't win but she did hit a double that got to girls home. It was pretty good!

Thursday:

In the morning we hauled fire wood on the ATVs. In the afternoon we ran a few errands with Floyd, including getting feed at the store and going tot he market. At the market I had my first Peach Fried Pie (like a turnover but then deep fried and covered with glaze) and Boiled Peanuts. I really likes the Fried Pie. The boiled peanuts were good, but very salty.

Friday:

In the morning we worked on scraping paint off a shed I'm sure we will soon be responsible for painting. In the afternoon I went into the town of Maysville to their town fair. There were lots of booths selling foods and crafts. For those of you in MN, I'm sure you'll be stunned to hear that they don't have cheese curds down here. The family I'm saying with has never had them and they didn't have them at the town fair. It's amazing since I don't think there is a single event in the midwest then happens without cheese curds. I did try a rum cake and pralines at the fair, both good. I was also called a Yankee at the fair, not in a mean way but this was a first for me so far in my life. I also got a skillet at the fair. I bargained my way down from $12 to $5. I'm quite proud of my bargaining abilities and my new skillet. You're all welcome over for skillet corn bread when I get home!

In the evening Amanda and I went back into the town fair for the street dance. It was very interesting. There weren't many people there our age but the ones that were there all had kids, as did many people younger than us. This was somewhat a bummer since none of them were looking for a dance partner. I did dance with one local guy, George, but that was it. Maybe next year.

Saturday:

The family was out of town this weekend so Saturday we had a nice slow morning. I worked a bit on paint scraping but not for too long. At lunch time I went into Athens, GA and had lunch at Mama's Boy, a super cute and very tasty cafe. The staff there was also very nice and helped me pick out a great southern breakfast accompanied by a homemade and delicious Strawberry Lemonade.

After lunch I went to Rutledge, GA to a cafe I read about in my Georgia travel guide to get a slide of the chocolate walnut pie at Yesterday's Cafe. It is essentially a pean pie, but made with walnuts, with chocolate chips. The town was super cute, movie like.

In the evening I went back into Athens to a nice coffee/bar/music cafe to see a few bands. The place was called Hendershot's Coffee. It was pretty dead when I was there but it was a cute little place and a nice calm atmosphere.

Sunday, Today:

I got up early and got on the road early up to Amicalola Falls. This water falls is 729 feet tall ans stunning. It's a cascading water fall so you get to enjoy it on the whole hike up. Then, at the top, you can look out over Northeast Georgia and the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. From where the stair start to the top of the falls it's over 600 stairs, but there a pretty big hike up to the bottom of the stairs. The falls is the unofficial start of the Appalachian Trail. You have to hike 8 miles in from the falls to the start of the official start of the trail. You cannot drive to the actual start, so I like to think I was on the Appalachian Trail.

After the hike, I went into Dahlonega and had award winning BBQ at Smokin' Gold BBQ. I had a beef brisket sandwhich. I would definitely eat there again but I'm not sure I'd drive out of my way to eat there. But maybe I'm just not well-versed enough in BBQ to know what I'm talking about.

After lunch I drove to Helen, GA, a cute little German town. All the building look like they're straight out of Germany and the women in the visitor center were wearing cute German outfits. They are celebrating Oktoberfest right now so it was super packed there. I walked around and looked in the little shops and it was fun.

Okay, I've gotta run now. I may get back and elaborate on this post tomorrow.

Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment