Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Native English Speakers

 Disclaimer: As I am changing the general content of my blog to talking about other people we meet and sharing their stories (vs. talking about my life) you are going to have to bear with me as I try to figure out how I am going to share this information and learn a new writing style for doing this exact thing. I am not very happy with today’s post but I know only practice will make me better. I am sorry if these posts are going to seem more like the first posts from my blog – reciting facts, not telling a story – I just need to keep doing it, every day, and by the end of next year I’m sure it will be better. I also need to refine my interview technique so I can get more specific or thematic information from people that are more interesting to later share on my blog. There is a fine line between letting someone take the conversation where they want it to go, tailoring it to their specific experience, and trying to gather something similar from everyone.

Monday morning we had breakfast with Jennifer, a 42-year-old professor who lives in Toronto with her husband and 3-year-old daughter. Jennifer is a professor of Public Health Policy and her husband is a professor of Computer Science. She has worked the last few years at the University of Toronto but will be teaching this next year at Concordia University of Edmonton in Alberta, CA.

Jennifer’s PhD was in history, with her doctoral thesis focusing on resistance to vaccination. Upon graduation she could only find one job in history, in Galveston, TX, but her husband could not find a job there. As they obviously wanted to be together in a place where they could both work she took a shot in the dark and applied at U of Toronto as a Public Health Policy teacher, selling herself as this based on the connection between public health policy and her doctoral PhD. She got the job and spent the first year she was teaching learning along with her students.

For the last five years Jennifer and her husband have been living in and restoring a stone house outside of Toronto. When they bought the house 5 years ago they took on the project of restoring the house but then Jennifer got pregnant and the work become more than they were prepared for. Between raising their daughter and restoring the old stone house themselves, Jennifer feels as if she has been more consumed than she could have imagined. The work has been very hard, it has been “too much work” and she is worried that they have spent too much of their life working on this renovation project. Jennifer is glad that they are finished but is not sure that the project was really worth it. (It is so nice to hear people honestly admit things like this. At no point did it seem that Jennifer was trying to make the project seem easier of better than it was. It is so great to hear people’s honest feelings about something, that maybe they did something they shouldn’t have done, maybe they made a mistake).

With this feeling of being overly consumed these last years with their renovation project and parenting, Jennifer and her husband have finally finished with the home and are now on a sabbatical trying to figure out what these next years should bring. They are away from home for 4 months, having left December 9th and staying away until the end of March. They hope that in this time they will find some clarity about what their next 5 years should be spent doing. I am looking forward to following up with Jennifer at the end of their journey to see if they have found some clarity.

Jennifer and her husband met in their residence hall back in University (not sure if it was when they were studying for their BA or for their PhD). Jennifer was looking for hot water and her now husband helped her find it. When they were on their first date Jennifer told her husband, “I don’t want to have children. If I get pregnant I’m getting an abortion.” She had no intention of ever having kids but has since obviously changes her mind and they have a lovely 3-year-old daughter. Commenting on loving you children Jennifer said, “You learn to love your child.” I have never heard someone say this before – how refreshing as well.

As I talk with more and more people every day it really helps to readjust expectations. You don’t just love your child; it is something you learn to do. How lucky I feel to hear real people share their honest opinions, beliefs, experiences in an unfiltered way (or at least if feels unfiltered).

After finishing up with Jennifer and having a chat with Roland we moved on to another café since we do not always feel all that welcome the one we like. I really don’t know why we keep going back – except it’s really the only good place to hang out in town – but I just really wish they enjoyed our presence more. Now I almost feel like staying longer at the café each day so they have to deal with us, almost as punishment for their inhospitable attitudes.

We went over to China House, another café here in town, and tried to enjoy ourselves there. Once again, a place that could really benefit from Elizabeth’s and my outgoing personalities, attention to detail, and general desire to provide outstanding customer service to everyone. Sitting there enjoying out tea a woman came in by herself, wandered around a bit lost for a while and when she walked past our table for a second time we invited her to join us.

Emma, a 34-year-old teacher from Sydney, has been traveling around Asia for the last 4 weeks. We met her on the last afternoon of her trip just hours before she flew back to Australia. She has seen Nepal, India, Malaysia, and Singapore. She had done the trip by herself, a mixture of guided tours and her own exploration. We didn’t really interview Emma like we have the breakfast people so I don’t have much more to say about her – I didn’t take notes so I don’t remember the details as well – but we had a wonderful lunch with her. And, she has a 30-year-old brother who is single and may be moving to Singapore, Elizabeth is excited about that!


That evening for dinner we ate at Sushi Tei at the mall again. We were so exhausted in the afternoon that we went back to the hotel and took naps for a few hours. Not sure why we were so tired but we both needed it – me especially as I was getting very crabby! And that was that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment