Thursday, August 15, 2013

Agricultural Romance

The two daughters of the family I am staying with, Anna and Emily, are at home today. They are both married and live elsewhere but are home to pick up goats they will be showing this weekend at the Iowa State Fair. I found out Anna wrote a dissertation, titles Agricultural Romance, on the way the rural community is depicted and consumed in America by the suburban and urban communities. There is a copy of the paper here so I plan to read/skim it while I'm here. It seems like an interesting topic. I'll share any highlights with you.

Tomorrow I have the day off and will be going to Decorah, Iowa to visit a friend. Apparently they have a very cool seed store in Decorah, Seed Savers, and I will be visiting there and probably picking up a few seeds. If you want me to get anything for you, let me know by noon tomorrow. Since I will be out on the highway my phone should be working! I may also go for a short bike ride as well since I brought my bike and would like to get out in this beautiful part of the state!

Also, finished my book today, The Hangman's Daughter, by Oliver Potzsch. It's a historical fiction about a small town in 1650's Bavaria with witchcraft fever. It's part of series but I've just started the second book and it doesn't appear they need to be read in order. If you're looking for a fun read, I'd check it out!

Night!

Veggies Day 5:
Beets
Artichokes
Heart of Palm
Broccoli
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Carrots
Onions
Zucchini



1 comment: