Saturday, August 17, 2013

Biking, Decorah, Demolition Derby

Quickly about the last two days....

Yesterday morning I went on a beautiful bike ride from Houston to Rushford and back. I think it was about 25 miles round trip. On my bike ride I saw 6 deer and 1 snake along with a million insects and lots of birds. They have a beautiful bike trail connecting many of the towns here in SE Minnesota and it follows the Root River. I only rode about 1/4 of the trail but it would be a great bike trip if you're into that sort of thing.

Then, in the afternoon I went to Decorah, IA to visit a childhood friend. I went to Seed Savers while I was down there. Seed Savers had miles of beautiful trails but after my long bike ride I was not really in the mood to move my legs much more. For dinner we went to a small town pizza place, Mabe's Pizza, and caught up on our lives.

Today was another day on the farm. We worked on cleaning out the barn a bit and building lasagna garden beds where you layer different components to make a rich bed for growing your plants. We are making the beds now so they have the winter to soak up the moisture before being planted in the spring.

In the afternoon we did a small bit of work in the vineyard but then ran out of bird netting. We will have to go into La Crosse to get more supplies.

This evening, me and Julien, the other WWOOFer from France, went to a Demolition Derby at the Houston County Fair. It was the first one I've ever been to. It was a cool experience but I'm sure the town people enjoyed it much more as they actually knew the drivers. Then I introduced Julien to some fair food - Mini Donuts - and then we came home.

Another day of working tomorrow so I'm off to bed. Night!

P.S. I have really enjoyed receiving such supportive emails from everyone, sorry I haven't had to time reply to them all individually. Just want to let you know that I am getting them.


No comments:

Post a Comment